30 September 2010

Street Cred (and pictures)

Time/Date: 30-Sep-10
Location: F'ton

Relationships revolve around street cred. It's not about the rap game or anything like that. Whether in social situations or a business settings, everything you do can affect your credibility with others.

I strive for positive street cred. Every time I step behind the bar at Lava Vodka Lounge or contract myself out under Cloudbreak or write a post here or Twitter or even go fly fishing (river cred?), I want it make a positive impact on someone. For example:

  • In Lava, I aim to have people say the drink they're served is the best drink they've ever had. Whether it's a simple dirty martini or a classic Caesar or a Lava-exclusive Snowbird, I want people's minds to be blown. That goes for music played at Lava, too.
  • My duties while working under Cloudbreak as a geologist or logistician boil down to the following: get shit done, find stuff, mitigate fuck-ups. As efficiently as possible. That's it.
  • on 411#3 or Twitter, either as @CloudbreakELS or @FOAprostaff, I aim to entertain and/or inform. It might not always be positive, but readers will learn something from it.
  • While fly fishing, the river cred I'm striving for is that I'm not a fair-weather fisherman, nor am I a weekend warrior. I forego sleep to fish.  I've turned down jobs & shifts & contracts to fish. I volunteer or fundraise for conservation groups. I write a blog & take pictures for fly fishing. I just want to go fly fishing.
Side note: Conversely, someone may be a fairly successful business person, drive a nice car and have money to spend, but if they spend their weekends all coked-up, picking fights downtown, or being a slutty train-wreck drama-queen, that person has no street cred with me. Their rep is douchebag or drunken whore, and I won't recommend their professional services to anyone. Or serve them in Lava.

What do you guys do to build up street cred? Fire some examples in the comments section.

Now for some tunes & some pics from yesterday's trip to the upper SW Miramichi. No fish, but lots of fall colours. Yay! Fall colours! 

(I'd rather have pictures of fish than fall colours)








I wasn't gonna let a staph infection keep me down. River cred points? I think so

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Much like you I am not a fair weather fisherman. My job(s) just don't allow that luxary. But at the same time I really get to appreciate the river, and all it has to offer. My weekend starts on a Monday and well I like it just fine. I have managed to be on the water quite a lot this summer, and have seen some amazing things. I have seen eagles soar over head, and beavers swim along side me. I have endured the heaviest of rain, and the thickest of black flies Juniper has to offer. No matter how miserable the conditions on the river, I am still a firm believer that a bad day of fishing is still better than a great day at the office! My street cred might not stand the test, but my fishing cred is above reproach.