21 September 2010

Digital Clutter

Time/Date: 2310, 21-Sep-10
Location: F'ton

An overflowing inbox and/or a desktop filled with files & folders can be causing unnecessary bullshit in your life, without you even realizing it.

I took the time a couple weeks ago to tackle my MacBook & rid it of digital clutter. This is what my desktop looks like now:


Any applications I use very regularly are kept in the dock, while others can be quickly brought up using the Spotlight keyboard shortcut (command + space on my MacBook).

My Finder & associated folders have been trimmed down and organized to be extremely convenient & easy-to-use as well:


I keep current projects in the root of the Documents folder; upon completion, I put them in the appropriate folders.

For email, I can proudly say there is only 4 emails in my inbox from 3 email accounts. I use the "OHIO" method (Only Handle It Once) as much as possible; if it can be responded to immediately, I do so (PS-I get frustrated when I send an email requiring a yes or no answer and end up waiting for hours or days for a response. Just sayin').

Whenever I fail on the OHIO-ing of emails, I usually take 5 minutes to go through and delete unnecessary or answered emails every couple of days or so.

I'm travelling the roads for the next few days so good road trip tunes are a must. One of my go-to bands for road trip playlists are Built To Spill. They have a newer album out called There is No Enemy that I keep forgetting to download from itunes but I'm fixing that really soon!

Here's one of their older tracks:

No comments: