06 September 2010

Going Stalin on Clutter

Time/Date: 1745, 6-Sep-10
Location: F'ton, NB

I'm purging clutter out of my life & mind. As mentioned in an earlier post, I've been reading on simplifying & minimalism from Leo Babauta of Zen Habits, Joshua Becker of Becoming Minimalist and Everett Bogue of Far Beyond The Stars.


I will never claim that I am a full-on minimalist. Everett Bogue proudly proclaims he has 57 possessions. I have that many trout flies and I'm not giving them up (except to fish...or snags...in a river). And I can't really see myself biking to Juniper, NB to go salmon fishing in October, so my truck (the High Plains Drifter) is staying, too.
Stalin's expertise can be applied to decluttering?

But I do have a pile of crap that I don't use and/or need. I'm going Joseph Stalin on clutter.

First on the black list is my room. More specifically, clothes.

Phase 1 was a few odds & ends that didn't need to fly back across the Atlantic Ocean. This included 2 dirty t-shirts, a $4.50 pair of flipflops and torn socks. A few books & magazines also stayed behind to entertain the next wandering soul to find themselves in Ouagadougou.

Phase 2 occurred back at home and I did it quick, like ripping off a band-aid.

Motivational music is definitely required for this process. Try this:


I made two piles; one for donating, one for tossing out:

Donated:
1 rain coat, 1 blazer, 1 fleece pullover, 1 hoodie, 3 polo shirts, 3 board shorts, 2 (barely used) synthetic workout shirts, gym shorts, cargo shorts, 2 dress pants, 1 chinos, 2 dress shirts, 3 t-shirts, 1 (unworn) cap, 2 belts, 1 pr dress shoes. And 1 John Lynch Tampa Bay Bucs football jersey :(

Tossed:
1 cargo shorts, 1 pr jeans, 1 shirt w/ ink stain, 1 l.s. t-shirt w/ holes, 7 t-shirts, 1 pr long-johns, 1 cap, 1 pr work pants, 1 pr North Face slip-ons (bad purchase!!), 1 pr of Blundstones (best boots ever).

I'm happy with the progress. So far.

But now, enjoy a picture of what J-Lo would look like as a tree:

No comments: