20 September 2010

Fishing Big Hole Brook

Time/Date: 2105, 20-Sep-10
Location: F'ton

Note: I won't be posting precise locations to public pools, only river names, etc. I will mention any sort of private water/lodge, etc that I fish by name, with contact information where applicable. Feel free to contact me directly for more specific fishing spots.


Bucky secured us another invitation to Big Hole Brook this past Friday, so after doing my cashout at Lava Vodka Lounge at 4AM Friday morning I went home and grabbed my gear and we hit the road.

Big Hole Brook pool is a jointly-owned private pool on the Main SW Miramichi; the half we fished on is owned by the same chaps who build Oak Ledge Canoes. It's a nice spot, and it's a deep-water holding pool where the salmon take refuge during the peak warm weather months.

View Larger Map

Weather was ok: minor drizzle, cool, with light breeze. In hindsight, I would have liked some lightweight long underwear as the water temps were cool, but it wasn't unbearable by any means. I was plenty warm up top with a Columbia fleece & my Arc'Teryx softshell (note: that softshell has seen 5 years of use & abuse and still is my go-to. Love it.).

Fish were jumping everywhere and had some size to them. We were told between 7-10AM was the best time; we weren't on the water too long after 7AM. Recommended flies were the General Practitioner, Ally's Shrimp and the Shady Lady.

And, of course, the only thing I caught was a damn cold...I had one solid take but didn't get the hook-set. Bucky didn't have much luck, either, hooking two chub.

Due to soggy weather, I didn't use my camera this trip, but some pics from previous trips to Big Hole Brook are below.

Here are some tunes by Hot Hot Heat, who are coming to town on Oct. 13th. I saw them at FredRock this summer and they kick ass (event details, tickets).



Yes. Salmon were jumping.







No comments: