16 January 2012

Beginner Bass Bugs...

Time/Date: 2235 AST, 16-Jan-12
Location: My tying bench

I decided to plunk my ass at my tying bench to give myself a crash course in spinning deer hair for bass bugs...and try out my new Peak Rotary Vise in the process.

My lovely gf gave me a gift card to the bookstore for Christmas so I ordered up Bass Bug Basics by John M. Likakis to help speed the self-taught crash course up a little bit. If you're interested in tying bass bugs, it's definitely a handy resource to have on hand.

For my first tie, I decided on trying my hand at Tap's Bug, which was declared the "best bass bug ever" in the Nov/Dec 2008 issue of Fly Rod & Reel magazine. You see step-by-step pics & instructions to tie the bug on Fy Rod & Reel Online here.

This is what the finished bug is supposed to look like (from the Fly Rod & Reel article):


And, after a few thread-snaps, a lot of trimming and minor cursing, this is what I ended up with:


I'm usually pretty critical of my tying...but realize bass aren't typically as critical & selective; if they're eating, they'll eat that. So I'm ok with this first effort. I'm not going to fish it; instead, I'm keeping it as a benchmark to measure up future bass bugs to. And yes, there will be many future bass bugs.

A few things to point out if you're going to start tying deer hair bass bugs:
  • make sure your tying scissors are sharp;
  • pick up some old-timey, flexible razor blades for trimming the deer hair. I found a package of Wilkinson Sword Classics at Shoppers Drug Mart. Ten double-sided blades = 20 razor blades for sculpting bass bugs; just snip 'em in half with a Leatherman or similar;
  • get a strong thread. I'm using UNI BigFly thread...and snapped it a few times while tying my first bug
  • be patient! I ended up cutting off my second bug of the night to start over due to trying to rush. Take your time & follow the steps;
  • be prepared to make a mess. I don't think I have ever done a recreational activity that makes a mess like this. If you're married, do NOT do this at the dining room table if your better half is within a three hours' drive radius of your home. Bass bugs are that perfect excuse to set up a personal tying area, far from any potential marital disputes.
  • In addition to the razor blades, other items that are handy to have are: rounded-tip tweezers (for pushing thread/knots along the hook shank) and a fine-toothed comb (for cleaning underfur from deer hair).
  • If you want to put on those rattling, googly doll eyes, you can pick up packages of 300 for cheap at craft shops. A drop of ZapAGap or similar cyanoacrylate adhesive will keep them on the bug through most battles with bronzebacks...or bucketmouths...
Once I improve spinning/packing/sculpting these bad boys, I'll post a few more.

Enjoy some music:

4 comments:

Jergens said...

Sweet bug and one of my favorite Blink songs, awesome!

Unknown said...

Thx, man. Blink-182 always brought a smile to my face.

The bugs will need more practice, but it was fun to finally try my hand at them! Looking forward to getting better at it!

deanwo said...

Tying bass bugs is a blast, Mat. The single edge razor blades, using a Brassie hair packer and tying with a rod thread (I use C weight thread) are probably the most important tips. I have a DVD from Skip Morris that shows excellent examples.

Of course, you probably know all this, but I've been looking forward to restocking my supply. And, yes I do this on my dining room table and have not gotten a divorce yet.

Unknown said...

Dean, you just probably blew my mind. I've been breaking thread...rod thread, huh? Makes sense...

I haven't used a Brassie before, either...