12 January 2012

The Conservation (& Music) Post

Time/Date: 0930, 12-Jan-12
Location: My kitchen

RecycledFish Stewardship Tip - Accelerate Less
RecycledFish.org
One of the prime tenants of hypermiling is “do not accelerate quickly or brake heavily.”

According to the folks at cleanmpg.com, accelerating quickly or braking heavily can reduce fuel economy as much as 33 percent at highway speeds and 5 percent around town.

Here are three scenarios that you might encounter during your everyday drive and three suggestions on how you can reduce accelerating and braking.

Uphill leading to a stop light/sign: Travel as far up the hill as possible before stopping. Maintain a steady pace and attempt to crest the hill when the light is green. If there is a stop sign at the top of the hill, you have no choice. You have to stop. Unfortunately, accelerating from a dead stop facing uphill is one of the worst fuel efficiency situations that you will face. Often, there is a relatively level piece of ground at the top of a hill. Try to stop there if possible. If the hill is part of your regular commute, try a different route so that you can avoid the hill.

Downhill leading to a stop light/sign: Slow down well before the light. Coast on the downhill and try to time your descent so that you hit the intersection when the light is green. This will allow you to coast through the light without having to accelerate.  Even if you do have to brake on the intersection when the light is green.  This will allow you to coast through the light without having to accelerate.  Even if you do have to brake on the downhill, you have gravity on your side. You can continue to coast after applying the brakes.

Level ground leading to a stop light/sign: Continue to slow your vehicle before actually coming to a stop. Think of yourself as moving half the distance to the goal line and then half again. You can accomplish this both through braking and by coasting into your buffer.

Why it is important to the fish: All vehicles produce Carbon Dioxide (CO2) when they burn gasoline.

Why it is important to you: Burn less gas, burn less cash. I'll repeat that:

BURN LESS GAS, BURN LESS CASH

The 2000 RPM Challenge
For the current tank of gas in the High Plains Drifter, I have vowed to NOT drive over 2000RPM, to see how much more mileage I can crank out of it.

Some basic stats:
  • I filled up yesterday, 11-Jan-12 at 2:40PM; the truck was almost empty (~80L gas tank)
  • It took 78.751L of mid-grade gasoline...that's 20.803 US gallons
  • The total price was $96.00 
  • That's $1.219 per litre...that's $4.614 CDN per US gallon, or $4.531/gallon in US dollars
  • Driving normally, I drove 424.6km (263.8 miles) on the previous tank of gas
  • Approximate mileage calculation: 5.39km per litre, or 12.68 miles/gallon
  • 90% of my driving on the previous tank was in the city
(Note: the Canadian economy hasn't screeched to a halt with these gas prices or public health care...something to think about)

I will update this once I fill up again. I'm hoping it's not for a while.

Here's what I've noticed following the first afternoon of my 2000 RPM Challenge: Fredericton has some steep-ass hills, and it is friggin' hard to get up them at or under 2000 RPM. Also there's a lot of old blue-hairs that accelerate slower than I do.

Think about that: I'm trying to accelerate my (automatic transmission-driven) truck from a dead stop, on an uphill grade, at under 2000 RPM, and I'm accelerating faster than granny in a Toyota Corolla.

No wonder people develop ulcers & eye twitches from commuting to work every day.

I'm glad I don't work every day.

The Tweet
I was interviewed by our regional newscast on Friday because of this:

Long story short: I was waiting in my truck (not idling, btw) for my lovely gf, saw this dude walk around his van with buckets in hand, I assumed (correctly) that he was going to dump them down the storm drain, snapped a pic, tweeted it.

The tweet got shared a bunch of times, a city councillor sent the photo to the public works department, and the mayor weighed in.

The company told the reporter it was just water.

But, if it was just water, why did he have to rinse his buckets multiple times, dumping them down the storm drain each time?

The newscast was more about "the power of Twitter" than it was the actual incident (you can watch it here; the segment is at 7 minute-mark); and the reporter didn't want to dive into what the company did/didn't do for legal matters; in fact, they enlarged the photo & cropped out the company van on the newscast.

Few things the news left out that I felt were important: while the reporter stated I was an "avid fisherman," they didn't mention anything about me being a geologist that works partly in the field of hydrogeology. That's somewhat relevant, me thinks. They also left out that I'm Vice-President of the Nashwaak Watershed Association...though I did manage to get the Association's logo pictured in the background. But still, also somewhat relevant.

Instead, come off as an unshaven, festively-plump busy-body, lurking in a parking lot with a camera phone...who is an avid fisherman...

They also didn't quote my off-camera best quote ever:

"I'm not in the marble business, so I can't tell you exactly what they were dumping. But I'm pretty much in the water business, and I can tell you it wasn't clean f**king water."

Speaking of the Nashwaak Watershed Association....
Our man in the know is cranking out the new website & we're getting our new & updated social media presence ready to rock; expect a launch in the very near-future.

If anyone is interested in learning more about the organization, or becoming a member (it's only $10/year!!), please get in touch with me!

And now some music
I've mentioned Ross Neilsen a few times before on the blog. Like here. And here.

I'm a big fan of his hard-rocking, whisky-chugging, grinding dirty blues (and his other stuff, too).

Well, Ross is composing & recording a song a week in 2012.

That's right.

Fifty-two songs, written, composed, recorded, in 2012.

You can follow his progress on his website here.

And I'm really pleased to have his first track of his challenge below, enjoy!!

Year of Tears Tomorrow Never Comes (clips) by rossneilsen

Ross and some special guests are playing at Dolan's Pub (King Street) on January 18th as a fundraiser for his upcoming trip to compete in the International Blues Challenge in Memphis, TN.

Details are in a FB event here.

Ross spoke CBC's Information Morning with Terry Seguin this morning (12-Jan-12) about the upcoming event, you can check it out here.

1 comment:

Isaac Miller said...

I'm curious to see how your MPG test pans out. I've long been of the belief that the best MPG comes around the peak of the engines torque curve, which is generally much higher than 2000RPM.