25 January 2012

Back to School


If you have read my twitter feed in the past week or so, this will be old news. But for those of you who aren't in the twitter loop...

I'm going back to school.

No, not the time & money-sucking post-secondary academics that I already battled through...spent over $40K on...successfully completed, but a more enjoyable and artful return to academic life.

Study materials I can really get behind...
I'm talking about the FFF's CCI program.

FFF = Federation of Fly Fishers

CCI = Certified Casting Instructor

Successful completion of this intensive self-study program & exam will permit me to put all those letters after my name.

Funny enough, I don't put those other letters after my name very often. Really not sure why that is...

I've been in touch with a casting instructor already to discuss a few things (thanks, Dean!) & get a few tips, which was pretty awesome.

After talking to Rich via email, I pretty much decided attending the exam session being offered in March was f**king insanity overly optimistic. My timeline for this is, for the most part, my own, but I want to get it done sooner rather than later.

Unfortunately he doesn't have any tips (outside of schnapps) for nutting-up to go outside to practice casting in -25°C weather...

(Quick update: it was super-ass mild here the last couple days. This keeps up & I'll be using the city's outdoor rink in Officers' Square as a casting pond)

Unfortunately going back to school won't involve this...this time at least...

Enjoy some tunes:

5 comments:

Kent Fackenthall said...

Yeah, you practice up man. I'm gonna need all the help I can get.

Unknown said...

Ha! Don't worry, I'll get you casting & catching, certified or not...getting certified will just make me a more gentle teacher...

Kent Fackenthall said...

I think that will depend on your caffination level at time of said lesson. :)

Andy said...

Let's kick this exam's ass in 2012! As a fellow FFF CI aspirant, I wish you the best. I can email you a list of recommended casting texts if you'd be interested in consulting some of those

cofisher said...

Good for you Mat. Have fun with that. I want to sign up for the adaptive fly fishing instructors school.