01 March 2011

Feeding the (Saltwater) Addiction (Alternate Title: Finally, some fishing content)

Time/Date: 1515 CST, 01-Mar-11
Location: Estado de Guerrero, Mexico

This still remains a fly fishing blog, at heart. Honestly.

I have just sort of found myself travelling and not fishing over the past little while. That's not to say I haven't been obsessing thinking about fly fishing this whole time.

As some of you might have read over the past few months, I have been afflicted with the bug of saltwater fly fishing. It took one day of hooking redfish to develop this affliction.

Even though most of my time since New Year's has been spent working in far-off locations, I have been doing lots of homework to start taking this whole new world of saltwater fly fishing seriously.

Here's some of the reading material I've been going through to get my fix:
  • Fly Fishing in Salt Waters: this magazine has some fly fishing heavyweights writing for it: Lefty Kreh, Nick Curcione, Barry & Cathy Beck, and more. Lots of info pertaining to techniques, fly-tying, gear and places in each issue. Best part: you can subscribe for cheap via digital copies of the magazine through Zinio. I have the Zinio app on my iPod, which lets me take multiple issues in my pocket.
  • Fly Rodding the Coast by Ed Mitchell: This book has A LOT of information on how to read shores & coasts for finding fish. Predominantly focuses on the species found in the Northeast US...which is found close to the Fundy Coast of New Brunswick...just sayin'
  • The Orvis Guide to Saltwater Fly Fishing by Nick Curcione: This is a very good starting point for those making the switch from chucking size 16 dry flies for 12" trout i.e., me last fall.
  • On the Run: An Angler's Journey Down the Striper Coast by David DiBenedetto: Not entirely instructional and not exclusively fly fishing, but either way, this is a great read for anyone interested in chasing stripers.
  • The Big One: An Island, an Obsession, and the Furious Pursuit of a Great Fish by David Kinney: This book is AWESOME! How awesome? I'm over half through my third reading of it in 5 weeks. It's about the annual fishing derby on Martha's Vineyard and is an extremely entertaining read.
That's all for now. I brought my fly-tying kit with me to Mexico so hopefully I'll have some pics of flies I have tied up soon.

Here's a pic from the archives to get the fly fishing adrenaline flowing:

No comments: