20 March 2011

Act like you're supposed to be there (and get free cookies)


Time/Date: 1820 CST, 20-Mar-11
Location: American Express Centurion Club, Benito Juarez Int’l Airport (MEX)

There are two slightly devious ways to get something you may or may not be supposed to get:
  • Act like you’re supposed to be there. 
  • Act like a lost puppy.
I’m naturally good at the second, mainly due to actually being lost most times. I’m getting better at the first.

Case in point:

Due to (cough-cough) issues that might arise by driving through Mexico at night, I was dropped of at MEX for my 0030 CST flight to Toronto at 4PM. After killing a couple hours sitting in the sun, tooling around, drinking some red bull, buying local coffee beans, etc., I still had another four hours to kill before I could even check my bag.

So I did the discreet wander trying to find an unlocked wifi signal to bum around on the ‘net for a bit and came across the network “American Express Centurion Club.” Quick scan of the terminal, found the entrance and went over to check it out.

There were images of AmEx’s Black, Platinum & Gold cards beside the door. Interesting...

I signed up for AmEx’s Aeroplan Gold last December to get the 15,000 mile sign-up bonus and haven’t charged anything on the card since the Charity: Water donation from Christmas night. I wouldn't be their preferred customer by any stretch. But it's still an American Express card. And it's is (mostly) gold.

So, wearing my best flipflops & dusty shorts, I strolled on through the door like I owned the place & presented my card and passport to the receptionist.

Victory tastes sweet. Especially in the form of complimentary cookies.

(Home in 19 hours. Not that I'm counting)

Here are some tunes:


No comments: