31 March 2011

Choices (An opinion piece about fly fishing gear)

Time/Date: 1320, 31-Mar-11
Location: F'ton, NB

Imagine this scenario:

Two friends are fly fishing the fall salmon run on the Miramichi River in early October.

The weather is absolutely shitty: windy, rain & sleet, temperature is about 7° above freezing.

Fishing isn't great, but it's ok; there are fish rolling over the flies & are taking often enough to keep things interesting.

Fisherman A has a rod worth $800 paired with a $350 reel and the best fly line available. He's wearing a $30 PVC rain coat, and underneath his $60 PVC/rubber waders he bought at some nameless large global box-store he has a pair of jeans on.

Fisherman B has a $250 rod, a $150 reel and a decent mid-range fly line. He decided to spend some extra money on waterproof-breathable waders and a gore-tex wading coat. He also wears good-quality synthetic and Smart-Wool base & mid-layers.

Who is going to want to fish longer?

Yesterday at the shop, I was showing a client some of the good-quality mid-range rods from Temple Forks, St. Croix and Redington. He claimed he didn't fish all that much, maybe 5-10 times a year.

I mentioned that though I fish a fair amount, I personally wouldn't purchase one of the high-end rods because it would be similar to me owning a Ferrari to go to the corner store.

The client's friend came over, said something about showing him "the rod he really wants" and led him over to the $800 rods.

That's when I had to open my big mouth and mention the online post about Dorks, Doctors & Dudes. Take a minute to click over and read it. You might hate it. You might agree with it. Either way, it's entertaining.

OK, you're back? Good.

I don't mind selling someone an $800 fly rod. Trust me. In fact, I like it. A lot. So does Chris, who owns the shop.

But...

Unless your name is Kreh, Curcione or Fernandez, I'm pretty sure you will not notice a major difference in casting a $300 rod vs. casting an $800 rod.

I would rather people drop good money on quality waders & clothing and buy a good-quality mid-range fly rod and be able to enjoy fishing, no matter what the weather is.

Good weather doesn't always mean good fishing. And spending time on the water increases your chances exponentially.

You can't catch a fish while sitting in your vehicle with the heater running.

HOWEVER...There is a difference in casting between a rod found at the nameless large global box store and a good quality fly rod. If anything, the people working at your local fly shop fish. Usually a lot. I'll be surprised if your typical nameless global box store employee has ever touched a fly rod before. So support your local fly shop. 


Here's some music:


(Viewing this via RSS or email & can't see the video above? Click here to go to the post)

7 comments:

Dylan Rose said...

Sweet post Matt, and some great practical advice.

I believe a stigma still plagues the fly fishing industry that says it is a.) Really expensive and b.) Really hard. I call bullshit on both of those prejudices, and that's formed the foundation for everything I'm trying to do online with STF.

The new gear from brands like Redington, Ross Worldwide, Echo, and TFO are calling bullshit on that notion as well. It doesn't have to be expensive and you shouldn't have to feel like a second class citizen because you're fishing a $120 fly rod.

In fact, who's awesomer? The guy with a $2000 outfit who fishes 5 times a year and catches no fish, or the dude with the $200 outfit who fishes 60 times a year and spends the rest on gas, and catches OINK fatty's every time out?!?! I know which guy I think is awesomer and it doesn't have anything to do with how much their gear costs.

Keep it up Matt and good fishing!

Unknown said...

Thanks Dylan, I appreciate the feedback!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for re-affirming my fly fishing existence.

I think us "dudes" are fortunately becoming a minority force to be reckoned with.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment, James! I'm browsing through your site now, it looks great! (Other readers: James' site is http://mysteriouswater.wordpress.com/ & is definitely worth checking out!)

I'm getting jealous of all you west coast guys, btw. We had 10" of snow last night & still have 13 days until season opens. Our season here for is basically Apr.15th - Oct.15th. That's a long time to wait for fishing.

Anyone have a spare couch?

cofisher said...

You're right on! A mantra I've been repeating for years to anyone who will listen. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comment, Howard!

Unknown said...

For sure, Reels just real, Rods just throw line, but waders and jackets keep you warm and toasty. Though I would like to have super expensive gear, I'd also like to eat and actually go fishing instead of wishing I had gas money.

Well but and couldn't agree more. Get out, get lost and get your line wet. The only real way to get fish.