13 January 2011

Stuff that pumps me up: Icebreaker GT260 Hoodie

Time/Date: 0140 (GMT), 14-Jan-11
Location: Senegal

Since I'm staying up late to prepare myself for working night shift, I figure I'll bang out a few quick posts on stuff I like.

These aren't full-on reviews, go read Outside Magazine or Rock & Ice if you need technical shit. I'm just telling you what it is and why I like it.

The thing that pumps me up is my relatively new Icebreaker merino wool GT260 Quantum Hood. Icebreaker makes loads of merino wool products; the hoodie won me over.

What I like about it:

  • it fits super well, even though I'm not quite as ripped as the silly-looking Ken doll they used as a model. I would say I'm more 'festively plump' due to the holidays.
  • it's warm as hell. I was out wearing only the hoodie & a t-shirt underneath with no ill effects felt from the cold, even though it dipped as low as -14°C.
  • it's cool, too. I wore it flying here; when it got hot on the plane, I just unzipped and was fine.
  • it's ridiculously, super-ass comfortable. This thing isn't made from the wool your aunt uses for mittens. Icebreaker wool is foolishly soft.
What I don't like about it:
  • I'm jealous of the model they used. Eat something, jackass!
  • I dislike the weapons-grade product name. GT260 Quantum Hood? Really? Sounds like something I put on for biological weapons attacks.
  • I find pockets useful in their normal spot. I'm neither a climber nor a cyclist. I'm a fly-fishing, bartending geologist, so I don't find one pocket on the small of my back & one super-ass small pocket on my not-so muscular pec muscle particularly useful.
  • The price (see below).
If you're particularly fashion-conscious, you might dislike the hood. I am definitely not fashion-conscious; I wear various colours of Carhartt's carpenter's pants in various stages of decomposition for the most part. So I don't mind the fit of the hood due to practicality's sake.

Now, with regards to the price. Well........

My initial thought when the sales girl told me the price was, "You whore!!" 

It was, of course, after I had already tried it on and found it super-ass comfortable.

To be clear, she isn't a whore. She's probably working her way through school at a locally-owned outdoor supply shops. In fact, she was extremely helpful, knowledgeable & pleasant. 

She also turned out to be a ruthless sales person in the most non-ruthless, non-pushy way.

The price of the Icebreaker GT260 Quantum Hood was $199.

I'm rocking a roughly $33/day hoodie. And not regretting it for a second. Other than the name.

Check out Icebreaker's website here.

Disclaimer
I received and do not expect to receive any form of monetary or product reward from Icebreaker for this review. Though I wish...really wish...I would. I think their long-underwear would be awesome underneath my fishing waders. Just throwin' that out there, Icebreaker...

PS-all of you who wanna call me out on the minimalism thing: I got rid of two more hoodies & a long sleeve shirt when this came into my house. Quality over quantity. And eat it, while you're at it.

(Note: At the time of writing, the hoodie was running at ~$33/day. The ROI gets better with time, I've heard)

No comments: