23 January 2011

The Next Adventure (Alternate Title: I'm a sell out)

Time/Date: 2335 GMT, 23-Jan-11
Location: Drill pad on the side of a hill, Senegal

"There's two kinds of rocks in the world: mineralized & unmineralized. Guess which one I care about?" - Me, to a junior geologist, Winter, 2008

My lifestyle of a retired country gentleman was officially put on hold last week.

A few weeks before Christmas, a recruiter contacted me regarding a geologist position. Well, she emailed me last spring, summer and fall regarding this same position. But she actually called me in December.

My answer to her included the words "I'd rather shoot myself in the face if I have to spend eight to ten hours a day logging drill core again."

Turns out the same client was looking for an operations/logistics person, too.

This was fairly significant news, considering the following has been a frequent exchange over the past few years:

Random person: "So, like, does that mean you like rocks & stuff?"
Me: "No, I just like what's in them. Rocks are boring."
Random person leaves, fully confused.

I really like the fast-paced, swing-for-the fences atmosphere and challenges of the resource industry. I like being in the field. I like business development & economics, too. There's are many aspects of this industry I really enjoy.

But sitting in a core shack with hundreds of metres of core under my nose is not one of them.

I've looked at >35,000 m of drill core in a little over 5 years. That's enough.

Fast forward through CVs, phone interviews, emails, reference checks, etc., and I've accepted the offer.

It's my first full-time job in over 2 years. 3 weeks on, 1 week off.

And it's in Mexico.

I love Mexican food.

-------

Unfortunately, this means I'm hanging up the apron at Lava Vodka Lounge. Of all the projects I've been involved in, geological or not, Lava is one of my absolute favourites.

How many of you can say that you've been super-excited to go to work almost every shift? That's how I felt about heading to work at Lava.

So special thanks to Nick, Kris & others for putting up with my shit & trusting my concoctions enough to do taste-tests. Thanks to everyone who came in, frequently or infrequently. It's been a blast & I look forward to being on the other side of the bar with you in the near future.

-------

Things are not going to change too much at 411#3. I'm planning (hoping) to have more frequent fly fishing content, along with pics, travel info and music. And I'll still throw in the odd drink recipe, too.

-------

Here's some music, courtesy of iTunes on shuffle.


No comments: