14 June 2011

Predator Patrol

Time/Date: 1100 AST, 14-Jun-11
Location: Fredericton

The muskie hunt on Saturday morning was really fun.

I got to learn a few things about muskie and their habitat & prey, and also (finally) got to try out my Redington CPX 10-weight rod.

PLUS...

There's something perversely enjoyable about fly fishing from a boat in downtown.

The only way it could've been better would be if it was a week day and all the sorry saps stuck in traffic on the Westmorland Street Bridge were on their way to work while I was casting away all the worries in my little world.

In fact, if it were a week day, I would've tweeted the mayor to look out his office window. I probably would have invited him. There's a good chance he'd accept, too. That's what it's like having a cool mayor (looking at you, Toronto...that's what you get for electing an ass).

As for fishing for muskie, I'll let this photo speak for itself:

Regardless of the outcome, it was a good time, and there's plenty of season left to land this so-called fish of ten thousand casts.

Only about 9500 more casts to go.

Thanks for the guided trip, Andrew!!

********
Tonight, it's striper-hunting time on the Fundy Coast.

Tomorrow's a full-moon, i.e., higher than normal tides (aka "spring tides"). It's mid-June. Migratory stripers may be here.

Where I'm heading, low-tide is ~1730, high tide is ~2330. Sunset is about 2130-ish. This could work out in my favour.

It'll be a late one; I plan on fishing until 2AM or so.

But I am ready.

We'll see how it all unfolds tonight.

An army of Clousers await marching orders for tonight
It will be about an hour and a half drive each way. I'll probably a little tired on the way home. That's why I have this tune well-situated on several road trip playlists to sing along to. It gets the synapses firing.


3 comments:

cofisher said...

Good luck with the muskyhunting. Say hi to Pepe for me.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Howard! Hopefully won't be running into Pepe too much this summer...but then again, last summer, he was almost a constant companion...

cofisher said...

Mat I hope you get into some big ones.