25 June 2011

Bass Bugs

Time/Date: 1525 AST, 25-Jun-11
Location: A rain & lightning-filled Fredericton

Heavy rain and intermittent thunder & lightning for the past 6 hours has scuttled any plans for getting a quick hour of fishing in before departing for Northern Ontario tomorrow, but I was able to reallocate my time to organizing my still-evolving collection of flies for smallmouth bass


A few of the Clousers I tied for my saltwater misadventures have migrated their way into this box, in size 1 & 2; however, I've been having the most luck on a size 8 black Clouser on a freshwater streamer hook.

Last night I tied up a few more of the #8 black Clousers using bear hair. It should have a little more seductive action in the water than bucktail. I'll keep you posted on that.

The big coloured deer hair poppers & divers were tied up by the fly shop's resident whiz kid, James (Twitter: @JRWishart). Behind his back, I call him the Phenom...but I don't want him to be getting all egotistical and such, so don't tell him.

James tied up the orange & chartreuse poppers in a solid colour, then I added the eyes & stripes myself. I'm keeping two of them unaltered, i.e., a control group or something like that...

James gave the orange & white diver to me on a trade. It's sick looking & I can't wait to toss that out there to see what's hungry and/or angry.

The Phenom's creations
This should be my last post for a few days. I'm still trying to determine if I should bring a fly rod to Ontario with me, but I might go light this trip, seeing it's only for four days.

Stay tuned...

Here's some weather-appropriate music:


No comments: