14 June 2011

Gear Review: Costa Sunglasses

Time/Date: 0950 AST, 14-Jun-11
Location: Fredericton, NB

As mentioned previously (a few times), I found myself with two new pairs of polarized sunglasses from Costa Del Mar.

The first pair I bought online. The second pair I won from SoCal Salty's #Salty500 contest on twitter.

Would I have bought sunglasses if I had won the contest first?

Probably not. But now I have two kick-ass pairs of sunglasses to cover both freshwater & saltwater misadventures. And I'm not complaining one bit.

(apparently my occasional minimalist/anti-clutter principles can be bought)


I bought the Zane with the silver frame and blue mirror glass lenses. The frame fits snug on my face, but not uncomfortably. The arms and nose have rubber to help keep the glasses from slipping. They do have some heft to them, but that is due to the glass lenses as opposed to the other options.

On the water, all I can say is they work. The polarized lenses are extremely clear, cut glare and definitely assist in seeing into the water. On top of that, they friggin' look cool. So what more can you ask for from a pair of sunglasses?

The ultimate cool thing about the pair I won: Joe from SoCal Salty emailed me a coupon for the Costa pro staff site and I could select whatever pair I wanted. So that was awesome.

I chose the Brine with gunmetal frame & copper polycarbonate lenses (Joe recommended the polycarbonate...I'm glad he did). I like the looks of them, and they fit well (perhaps just a little too small for my fat face but whatev).

The amazing thing about these glasses: if they were any lighter, they would defy gravity. You don't even notice wearing them.

They have been my go-to for the past week for around town, and the lenses colour is appropriate for overcast conditions as well.

On the water, the copper lenses were a definite plus in our high & semi-cloudy water conditions. If there would have been any muskie present on Saturday morning, I would have seen them. Honestly.

Both pairs came with a protective zipper case (as shown in the pic above).

Overall, for the two pairs, I would say:

Pros: comfortable, clear vision, polarized as advertised, affordable (Brine: free, Zane: <$200), stylish (to me, and that's what matters), gravity-defying weight (Brine), Costas are involved in several conservation groups.

Cons: No micro-fibre cleaning cloth/bag, no stickers for the Tailgate of Fame on my truck, Kenny Chesney has a signature line of frames (ok, I kid, I kid).

Anyway...I'm a Costa guy now, through & through. Check 'em out.

I'd just rather trade Kenny Chesney for this guy:


2 comments:

Outdoor Blogger Network said...

Two pairs of Costas?
Yay, ok, I'm jealous...
Enjoy them and these are certainly something you'll keep up close and personal ~
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Rebecca, I'm not gonna lie: I was pretty friggin' happy when I got the first pair. I was ecstatic when I one the second pair.

So was my buddy, Chris: he got the hand-me-down pair of (non-Costa) polarized glasses...