10 June 2011

Goodness

Time/Date: 1050, 10-Jun-11
Location: HOME!!!

I made it home on Wednesday afternoon...it was a long four weeks, but all is good (even better once my invoice gets paid).

In addition to my adorable dog & my beautiful girlfriend, I had a couple packages waiting for my arrival as well.

One was my new pair of Costa sunglasses I won from SoCal Salty's #Salty500 contest. They are pretty sweet. I'll have a review & pics of them posted soon (like, Sunday-soon).

The other was this gem:


Yeah. That's right. The new John Gierach book, No Shortage of Good Days, autographed by the man himself. And Bob White, too. One of Bob's paintings was used as the cover illustration.

I'm a pretty big fan of Gierach's writing; in fact, one of my earliest posts featured some of his quotes. You can read that post here.

The Trout Underground has an epic review of the book (I'm still reading it); Tom also has an interview with Gierach that he's working on as well.

On top of all this goodness, I went fishing yesterday, too. I slept through an epic rain & thunderstorm that happened the night before last; unfortunately, water conditions on the Nashwaak were high, swift & cloudy.

I still caught an above-average sized fish, though: a 10" creek chub.

Tomorrow will bring a 5AM wake-up for another fly fishing adventure: muskie on the fly rod.

I will be hitting the vise this afternoon for a few more big "eff-off" flies like this:


Being back in the land of reliable & fast interhorn connections, I was also able to finally download Matthew Good's new album, Lights of Endangered Species. It will be on while I clean...and tie big "eff-off" flies for the muskie (mis)adventures tomorrow.

Here's some Friday music goodness:


2 comments:

e.m.b. said...

"eff-off" flies ---> perfect description! Cool blog...I'll be following!

Unknown said...

Thanks for reading & for the comment!!

Stole that expression from a friend; we were building a camp fire and he states, all matter-of-fact-like, "We require logs. Big, f**k-off logs." It stuck with me...