06 October 2010

How my new ipod simplifies things a bit

Time/Date: Too late or too early, 7-Oct-10
Location: F'ton

I love my ipod(s). I'm not one of those dance by myself-types in the commercials, but there are truly deep feelings.

My first was a 20GB gen-1 purchased in Ought-Five. It got a lot of use. The second was in '08, a 16GB touch after gen-1 started freezing (note: resetting an ipod while driving: bad).

I would have kept Ipod the Second around for a long time, had it not run off with a burglar (along with a can of bear spray).

So last week Ipod the Third has entered my life; a 64GB, fourth-generation ipod touch.

"How does buying a new ipod fit into simplifying & minimalism?"

Well, after 5 days, I can tell you this:

  1. 64GB holds my entire music library. Savings: time; no need to manage the library to fit 16GB
  2. It shoots HD video. Savings: $$ & space; won't require a video recorder for fishing exploits
  3. It takes decent pictures. Savings: $$ & space; I sold my point & shoot camera and gave its now-surplus pelican case to my roommate
  4. I downloaded the free Kindle app. Savings: time, $$ & space; I read e-books, thus reducing need for trips to bookstore (gas & time) and storage for books. Plus e-book titles are cheaper, and hundreds of classic titles are available free.

Plus wifi reduces how much I carry my laptop & the calculator is great. And Flick Fishing is fun, too.

I'll be test-driving some of the cool photo apps available like Plastic Bullet (see pic below) & writing reviews in future posts.
First ipod photo; edited with Plastic Bullet.
Starring Prince the Cat

No comments: