23 October 2012

Traveling Angler Tuesdays: Global Rescue

When one travels off the beaten path in pursuit of fish or other adventures (or for work), it's always good to plan ahead about how you're getting home in the worse case scenario.

Since my first trip to West Africa in 2010, my plan has involved forking some cash over to become a member of Global Rescue.

With different membership plans and options available, Global Rescue provides emergency response services in case of medical or security risks to their members.

Because of the nature of my travel, I have both the medical and security plans that cover me for up to 90 days out of my home province at a time (I added the security package once I found out the location of my next assignment). 

It works out to be about $55/month for this coverage. I consider it an extremely good investment.

Note: The company I'm (loosely) attached to has a contract with International SOS, which I have access to, but I pay extra for Global Rescue out of my own pocket. That says something right there, huh?

Coincidently (and conveniently), an email update from Angling Trade arrived while I was writing the draft of this today, with a little blurb about Global Rescue. It involves an experience Jim Klug of Yellow Dog Fly Fishing Adventures had on one of his many travels, resulting in Global Rescue getting a call. You can read about it here.

You can also read more about Global rescue in this article from Outside Magazine here.

Oh, if I'm not cool enough to review & recommend Global Rescue, these guys might be sufficiently cooler.

*          *          *

Traveling Angler Tuesdays launched June 26th, 2012 on mattrevors.com. My mission is to prove the concept of fly fishing travel abroad is not just the realm of old rich dudes and magazine writers & photographers. Keep checking back regularly as I share tips & tricks to get you to fly fishing locales you dream of going to. To see past articles & tips, click here.

2 comments:

cofisher said...

I wonder if they would cover me on my way to and from my local waters...I fall asleep easy.

Unknown said...

Howard, if your local waters take you across state lines, I think they'll have you covered for your narcoleptic tendencies:)