11 October 2012

Things of Three V

The fifth edition of three items/subjects/places/people worth checking out to make life as an angler and global citizen far more enjoyable.

1. Boise River (downtown Boise, ID)
I've fished this river twice, last October 31st and this past Tuesday, for probably four hours total.

It hasn't disappointed me yet.

Rainbows, browns, whitefish and even the occasional steelhead or salmon can be found in the heart of downtown Boise, adjacent to Boise State University.

If you ever find yourself heading to or through Boise, bring a four or five-weight. Tim & the gang at the Idaho Angler Fly Shop can get you sorted out.

Website: idahoangler.com

2. The Copper John
The Copper John was my go-to in Boise. I don't love using a nymph, and using an indicator isn't my favourite thing in the world. But I do like catching fish and local wisdom said a #16 red Copper John & an indicator was the way to go.

Local knowledge was bang-on about the red Copper John.

Note: I lost my indicator in a roll cast/fast current/overhanging branch cocktail of love & didn't bother replacing it for the rest of the outing. I still caught fish.

Here's some great info for tying John Barr's Copper John from Charley's Fly Box and Midcurrent.

Photo from: http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/uploads/DSC05120.JPG
3. Aeropress Coffee Maker
I don't leave home without this. Ever.

If you are prone to finding yourself in random shitholes around the globe and appreciate (NEED) a decent cup of coffee at any given time, I highly recommend getting an Aeropress.

All that's required is (decent) coffee and hot water. In my travels, I've used the following for a source of hot water for my Aeropress:
  • Electric stove
  • Electric kettle
  • Hot-water tap for tea on commercial coffee makers
  • Hot water tap on water coolers
  • Microwave
  • Propane stove
  • Camp stove
  • A pot on a barbecue grill
  • A pot on a hot rock adjacent to a fire
  • Aluminum water bottle set on top of a propane-fired heater
In every case the end result was a fine-ass cuppa joe.

Like travel? Love coffee? Get an Aeropress.

PS - Thanks for the Aeropress, mom & dad!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Got an Aeropress for my father for his birthday two years ago. He left it in the closet for a year until I bothered him about it and he took it to the mountains on a hunt.

I don't believe he has left the house for an extended period of time without it since.

Unknown said...

I love that damn thing, man. I'm sure there's some sort of irony in my constant advocating of traveling light, but yet I refuse to travel without my Aeropress & a pound or two of premium coffee.