04 October 2012

Things of Three IV

The fourth edition of three items/subjects/places/people worth checking out to make life as an angler and global citizen far more enjoyable.

1. Snook
They hit hard. They pull hard. And they look cool as hell.

Note: They're also quite tasty, but they're more fun to catch than to eat.
Photo by Dylan Rose of Fly Water Travel LLC
2. Idaho Angler
There's something to be said about walking into a shop and being recognized from a previous visit almost exactly a year ago to the day.

Friendly, helpful & knowledgeable, plus everything once could need for fishing in Idaho or anywhere else for that matter, including a huge tying section featuring materials for both fresh & salt.

If you're in the Boise area, a visit to Idaho Angler is a must.

Website: idahoangler.com
Social: facebook.com/IdahoAngler
Location: 1682 Vista Avenue  Boise, ID

3. Bonefish on the Brain
Dear Bjorn,

At first, I thought you were a little OCD about having a website dedicated to only one species of fish. Especially a fish living in waters far from your home address. A fish you have only one or maybe a couple of chances per year to go fishing for.

But then I caught one. And I get it now. I really do.

I'm already scheming an escape to catch more.

Sincerely,

Mat

Website: bonefishonthebrain.com

*           *           *

As some of you might have seen on a recent Facebook post, I'm taking a break from Facebook. This US Presidential election thing is bringing out the worse in some people. These are people I consider friends, either in real life or in the online realm. I respect your right to your opinions but the outright negativity, from both left and right, is depressing as f**k. So yeah, I'm done on Facebook until November 8th or 9th or so (besides, Twitter is far more enjoyable than Facebook).

That being said, y'all should get out and vote. No matter what your political leaning is, exercise your right to vote. Canada had a federal election last year and the turnout was downright dismal. Don't be apathetic; apathy is more depressing than the negative shit. Go vote.

This link will not be shared on the ol' Crackbook by yours truly. If anyone wants to share it, it'd be appreciated, but it's not necessary.

Keep it real.

Mat

6 comments:

Mike Sepelak said...

I applaud your stand on the Facebook issue, Mat. I took a weed whacker to my "friends" list last night myself, to a large degree prompted by the uber-partisan nastiness rolling about. It's insane.

Bjornorama said...

Exactly. Got get after it!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Mike. I've always felt a love/hate towards FB at the best of times and I've wanted to try going without for a while. The campaign provided enough of an excuse & motivation to do so.

Unknown said...

Damn straight. Need more, now.

The story: I had one eat on my first cast of the day, which was my first non-ridiculously-difficult shot of the trip, and strip-set like I had straight #60 for a leader. Snap. Gone. Next shot I snagged mangroves on the backcast, school gone. Then a school cruised by while I was fumbling with tying a fly on. Then I made the most epic roll-cast of my life, resulting in the fly being totally ignored.

Fortunately I had one last chance at redemption. My little Tibor Backcountry made a satisfying noise. A few times. Bonefish to hand (and on the brain since).

Anonymous said...

Snook rock. One of my all-time favorite things to do is watch snook destroy a fly cast into a docklight. Not as challenging as bonefishing but damn is it fun.

Unknown said...

Damn straight. I couldn't believe the power and outright anger they have to get back in & around the dock pilings when they're hooked. The snook in the pic is the one I 'accidentally' dropped back in the water to prevent him from becoming battered & fried.