09 December 2011

Packing List - Pt. 2

Time/Date: 1005, 09-Dec-11
Location: F'ton

2 days until departure.

To continue from part 1 of my packing list for Guatemala, this is where that whole 'packing light' thing somehow gets tossed out the window.



I've done fishing trips before (obviously) and I've done 4-6 week work trips before, but this is the first time for flying to another country for a week of a metric shitload of fishing for multiple species.

And I mean multiple species...like sailfish plus a host of other fish that might be around (marlin, mahi-mahi, shark, etc., etc., etc). Possibly some inshore stuff, including roosterfish. Stillwater fishing, with largemouth bass and carp. And also tilapia, which I only heard of because I think I ate some at a Tapas restaurant in Mexico.

I'm still trying to pack light, but shit quickly gets out of hand:

Sailfish rig:
  • Temple Forks Outfitters TiCrX 9012-4pc
  • Hardy Zane Saltwater 3 reel (not the Titanium one...I'm sick but not insane)
  • Cortland's Billfish line (13wt/65'/clear intermediate sink tip)
  • 500 metres of 50# gelspun backing
All-purpose Big Gun:
  • Redington CPX 9010-4pc
  • Redington Delta 9/10 reel
  • Rio's WF-10I striper (?) line (clear sink tip)
  • >300 metres of 30# gelspun backing
My lightsaber (i.e., don't leave home without it):
  • Redington CPX 908-4pc
  • Lamson-Waterworks Litespeed 3.5 reel
  • Rio's WF-8F saltwater line
  • Orvis WF-8I line (clear sink tip) - on spare spool
  • >225 metres of 30# gelspun on both spools
The Little Gun:
  • Redington Predator 7106-4pc
  • Redington Rise 5/6 reel
  • Rio's WF-6F smallmouth line
  • 150 metres of 20# gelspun backing
The Fly Boxes:
  • Saltwater box: Umpqua UPG, filled with everything from Clousers, Deceivers, crabs, Gotchas, rabbit strip flies and anything else that looked fishy.
  • Misc box: Umpqua UPG Doublewide, filled with foam & deerhair poppers, freshwater Clousers, salmon bombers, hoppers, streamers, Stimulators and anything else that looked (freshwater) fishy
  • Sailfish flies: big, f**k-off poppers in obnoxious colours with 6/0 & 7/0 hooks

Misc Fishing gear:
  • Pliers, nippers, hook sharpener, etc...
  • Mooseknuckle Lanyard
  • Hip pack
  • Leaders, etc.
  • Buff, sungloves, sunglasses, etc; mentioned in part 1.

As long as I don't end up small stream fishing for trout, I should be covered...

Enjoy some music:

3 comments:

cofisher said...

All you would have had to do is ask and I'd be more than happy to pack for you and carry your gear while you're on your trip. I work cheap...

Unknown said...

I'm one of those strange individuals that enjoys the prep for trips. I make it a game to see how light I can go.

But thanks for the offer. Next time I have to take my Arctic gear for work I'll keep you in mind:)

iFished said...

Hope all of that stuff will fit in the taxi.