21 December 2011

The Guatemalan Chronicles - Day 3

Read about day one here and day two here.

Setting: 

The Que Vela, Captain Tom's 34-foot super-panga; 40 miles off the Pacific coast of Guatemala

Cast of Characters:
You're either bouncing with anticipation (or sick and tired of waiting) to check out what the fishing for sailfish was like, so here's the first day...plus a little treat at the end.

Enjoy.

Sunrise at Marina Pez Vela
Marina Pez Vela in Sailfish HQ in Guatemala
Captain Tom about to board the Que Vela!
Jon, with Captain Tom at the helm
Jon takes the helm for a bit
Dolphins!
My first sailfish, on conventional tackle
What kind of pompous fool tries to catch a jumping sailfish on Instagram?
Me, that's who...
No shots on the fly gear on day one, but at least it looked awesome...

First day's results:

One sailfish each for Jon, Salty, Fish Allen (biggest of the day) and myself, all on conventional gear. Zero shots for me on the fly rod.

I had the first of the day, and therefore the first in Captain Tom's new boat, which was kinda cool!

Oh yeah...the treat at the end....

Here's a vid of Salty hooking (& landing) his first sailfish. Yours truly was holding the Go-Pro...with a lot of coaching from Salty!

There's some awesome footage in there (not really as a result of me...I just held the camera & hoped for the best).

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Cook and the Fly said...

Love, LOVE the flyrod + popper shot! Stealing it as I'm typing.
Thanks for sharing,
E.

Unknown said...

Glad you're digging the posts!

If you haven't noticed already, I shot the entire trip on Instagram on my iPod Touch.

I have an SD card from Jon with a bunch of stills that I've yet to sort through, once I do, I'll put in some sort of slideshow or something

Kent Fackenthall said...

I dunno bout fishing, but definitely want a GoPro. Damn.

Kent Fackenthall said...

Fishing looks like a blast. And I definitely want a GoPro now....damn.