28 December 2011

The Guatemalan Chronicles - Day 4

Read about day one here, day two here and day three here. See the day 4 teaser video here.

Setting:

The Que Vela, Captain Tom's 34-foot super-panga; 40 miles off the Pacific coast of Guatemala

Cast of Characters:
The story:

This dorado became the freshest sashimi ever moments after this photo was taken
Sailfish on the fly rod = biggest smile ever
One broken rod tip was a bargain of a price for that smile. Trust me.

Salty snapped some video & did a kick-ass job editing it. See the video in his original post here, or watch it below.

2 comments:

Clif said...

That's quite a coordinated effort to get you hooked up. It sure looks amazing.

Unknown said...

Yeah, it's quite the operation; it takes three guys: one to tease the fish over, one to control the boat/jam it into neutral, and one to cast (i.e., me).

I was sort of lucky-after-the-fact that I got to see what happens when a sail hits the teasers w/o the actual pressure of having to make the cast, because the first time the sailfish wouldn't be teased over to me.

I say 'after the fact' because I did have a shot & hooked up shortly after that, where if we didn't have another shot, none of this post & associated big smile would've happened :)