22 November 2011

Recycled Fish: Take the pledge!

Time/Date: 1130, 22-Nov-11
Location: Fredericton, NB

I am very pleased to announce I'm joining the team to help spread the gospel of Recycled Fish.

Through this site (and soon through WaterworksGuiding.com as well as Fredericton Outfitters & Anglers), I'll be sharing tips from Recycled Fish to help readers become stewards of our environment and live more sustainable lives.

To be blunt, a person can be a 100% catch & release fisherman, but if they live an unsustainable lifestyle, catch & release doesn't make a lick of difference.

"Our Lifestyle Runs Downstream"

Recycled Fish is different from other conservation groups. This isn't a group where a person pays their annual membership, gets a sticker for their truck window & maybe goes to a $100/plate dinner/auction once a year to feel good about themselves. Recycled Fish makes you think about how your lifestyle affects the natural environment, and provides tips & techniques to help you lessen your impact on it. 

Best part is, many tips, techniques and ideas pertaining to sustainability can save you money. Burn less gas, use less electricity = burn less money.

I'll be sharing some of the Stewardship Tips from Recycled Fish each week.

A lifestyle of stewardship means a healthier place to live. It saves money, it feels good and feels right, and it is the missing ingredient in consistently catching more and bigger fish.

"S.A.F.E. Angling"

Another project is S.A.F.E. Angling - Sustaining Angling, Fish, Ecosystems. The project is designed to get anglers the best information on how to be a steward on the water. It equips you with the practices and products you need to be a steward on the water and to practice eco-friendly fishing. Read more about it here.

TAKE THE PLEDGE!

Take Recycled Fish's Sportsman's Stewardship Pledge and start making some small but significant & positive changes to your lifestyle to make a difference.
  • I pledge to live a Lifestyle of Stewardship on and off the water. Living as a steward means making choices throughout my daily life that benefit lakes, streams and seas - and the fish that swim in them - because my Lifestyle Runs Downstream.
  • I will learn the fish and game laws where I hunt or fish and always abide by them.
  • I will practice Catch & Release and Selective Harvest faithfully and responsibly.
  • I will "police my resource" by turning in poachers and reporting polluters.
  • I will make up for "the other guy" by cleaning up litter wherever my adventures take me.
  • I will boat safely and responsibly, never trespass, and treat other enthusiasts respectfully
  • I will provide my time, money, or other resources to support stewardship efforts.
  • I will take steps to see that my home, lawn, vehicle, workplace and everyday lifestyle are as fish-friendly as I can make them by reducing my water, energy, material and chemical footprint.
  • I will encourage others to take on this ethic and will connect others with the outdoors to grow the stewardship community.
  • I choose to serve as a role model in protecting what remains and recovering what’s been lost of our wild and natural places.
  • I am a Steward.


For more information on Recycled Fish, please visit their website
Follow Recycled Fish on Twitter and Facebook.



1 comment:

cofisher said...

I've taken the pledge...good job.