29 November 2011

The Most Epic All-Encompassing Post of All Time

Time/Date: 1600, 29-Nov-11
Location: Fredericton, NB

Epic Topic #1 - Mooseknucle Lanyards

As mentioned before, I've been (periodically) writing some dispatches for Jeremy on the Mooseknuckle Lanyard blog. Well, I can say that all that hard work & perseverance has paid off...with my very own lanyard!!!


I was pretty excited to see the lanyard in my mailbox.

So excited, in fact, that I forgot that what I was really hoping to show up in my mailbox (i.e., a payment for an invoice & out-of-pocket expenses worth a lot of f**king money) didn't show up today. After three hours in the kitchen, I took the lanyard off and realized the cheque didn't show up.

But YAY! Lanyard!

I'll be rocking the lanyard on my upcoming trip to Guatemala!

Epic Topic #2 - My upcoming trip to Guatemala!

I leave in 12 days.

Not that I'm counting or anything.

I'll write more on this in the coming days, but for now, watch this. And just picture my smiling face holding one of those bad boys by the bill after catching it on a big, eff-off, 9" girly-pink popper on my fly rod.

Note, however, I will be wearing a shirt while doing this, as my fair Canadian features usually take a solid 3 months to become accustomed to sunlight, and I will not be attempting some sort of shaka/rock-star-horns-of-the-devil hand signal while holding the sailfish.


There might...might...still be a spot or two available on the trip, if you're so inclined. Get the details here.

Epic Topic #3 - Big Sugar

I got to see Big Sugar again!

They played Thursday night at the Market in Fredericton, with another Canadian act of the 90's, Wide Mouth Mason, opening for them.

It was good. Read Crash's blog about them here. He also snapped some video of the show, too; it's in that post.

As a few readers might know, Gordie Johnson is one of my four favourite musicians, Canadian or otherwise. The Grady show back in the fall of Ought-Nine was pretty epic, but I am super-pumped Big Sugar is back together & touring.

Random Big Sugar notes:
  • My first Big Sugar album was 500 Pounds. I got in 1993.
  • I first saw Big Sugar at the Social Club in '94 (I think). I paid $5. I was also...um...not of legal age.
  • When Big Sugar played Fredericton's Harvest Jazz & Blues Festival in 2002 (?), I did not attend. However, I had a perfect listening experience sitting on my porch...4 blocks away...
  • When Gordie was touring with Grady & played the pub at Zees, I was tasked to provide hospitality for them, as they were using Lava Vodka Lounge as a green room. The band autographed their Good As Dead CD for me in return. That's on my wall above my desk.
  • Gordie is the only human I know who would exchange Heineken beer for Moosehead Lager (aka locally as 'Moose Green'). Moose Green is the swill we export to other places, keeping the tasty Moosehead Pale Ale ('Moose Red') & Moosehead Light for ourselves.
  • Big Sugar sells earplugs at their merch table. They know they play loud, and acknowledge it accordingly.
  • The band reunited to play the 2010 edition of Harvest; it was that performance that resulted in them recording new music & touring together as Big Sugar once again.
Epic.


Epic Topic #4 - Shitting Bricks

Twitter followers might have seen the following last night:


'This' in the tweet refers to this:


Yeah, that's right. I lost ("misplaced") my new Hardy reel and also very nearly had a coronary about it, as I thought it might have been in the back seat of my truck and thus lifted by some miserable prick.

It wasn't. It was in my top-secret filing cabinet drawer, with four other fly reels. Imagine.

Epic Topic #5 - Reggae music

My lovely gf & I caught a reggae show on one of the nights of our trip to Mexico. Being lame resort & such, the band stopped playing at about 11PM. By the end of the encore, I was waving Yanqui Dolla at the resort's MC to have them keep playing.

I like reggae, though I'm not that knowledgeable about it outside of the Marley's. I like this track, though.


More on this whole reggae thing in the future.

Epic Topic #6 - Cooking

I've been cooking like a pimp...if pimps were known to cook.

In the past couple weeks, I've mixed & mashed together:
  • white chocolate chip & macadamia nut cookies
  • chorizo & lamb chilli
  • Jamaican jerk chicken tacos
  • chocolate chip cookies
  • Singapore curry noodles & chicken
  • oven-baked flatbread sandwiches
  • creamy sweet potato soup
  • Mexican style agua de fruitas
Plus, I can heat up apple cider...like a pimp!

Traveling for a lot of the year meant laziness took over when it came to cooking; we usually ate out or got take out. A lot. But at $30-60 a dinner, a new fiscal responsibility has taken over.

Cooking saves money. Especially when cooking in bulk, i.e. about 4lbs of Singapore curry noodles (cost to me: about $11. Cost at restaurant for ~4lbs of Singapore curry noodles: $68).

Listening to reggae while cooking: awesomeness. Try it.

Epic Topic #7 - Purging

I'm in the midst of another purge of clutter. This will be the topic of yet another upcoming post, but for now, I highly recommend you read Dave Bruno's The 100 Thing Challenge. You can help keep the clutter down by getting it on Kindle...like I did (Kindle app for iPod Touch, to be precise). Dave's blog is here.

That's all for now.

No comments: