22 November 2010

Saltwater Chronicles, Vol. 1 - Teaser

Time/Date: 1930, 22-Nov-10
Location: The Big Easy

Abstract:
Made it into New Orleans yesterday after being up for ~36 hours straight. Grabbed a quick shower & hit the streets for a self-(un)guided tour, found a big ol' greasy burger place staffed by a bunch of (self-proclaimed) queens that called everyone "baby," wandered around a bit more. Lost money playing blackjack, bought a bag pretzels, went back to hotel, and was in bed by 10PM.

Judging by the 18,000 people wandering around (drunk) wearing football jerseys with their faces painted with fleur-des-lis, I made the assumption there was some sort of sporting event going on.

I haven't had a drop of alcohol here, but I love the fact that when I choose to do so, I can wander the streets with my beverage of choice, as long as it's in a can or plastic cup. Hey New Brunswick, is that so wrong?

First day chasing redfish can be classified as a success. Here's the fishing report I gave to Bucky via Facebook:

Spooked a billion, gave 4 fish a concussion by hitting them on the head with weighted flies instead of "presenting" flies 1-2' in front of them, hooked 9, landed 5. Smallest ~5lbs, biggest ~10lbs. And they fight like bulls. Saw my backing twice, even w/ 20lb leader on...pics to come, the guide used his camera.
Had two "mat wants to drown himself" moments: 
1. cranked the guide in the back with a weight fly when starting my forecast. 
2. guide was running the outboard motor, randomly picked up his rod & hooked a 12lb-er on first cast 2 min after I flubbed a cast to a group of 6+ fish & spooked them all. I repeat: he caught it while driving the boat with the motor on. I suck.


Pics & such to come in a (very near-) future post.

Music by The Subways (who have one of the coolest myspace intro vids ever, btw; see it here).

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Some favorite New Orleans spots of mine:

Acme Oyster bar (try the flame broiled, unbelievable)

Spotted Cat Music Club

Le Meritage

Cafe Fleur de Lys

Have a great time, hope this fishing is as awesome as the food!

Unknown said...

Thanks Nat! Fishing was great; though I was pretty lame w.r.t. hitting night-life. Ate wayyy too much while I was there!!!