04 February 2012

Tumblr + Instagram & Lightbox

Time/Date: 0130, 05-Feb-12
Location: the intertubes...

First up: a new Facebook page for my local shop, Fredericton Outfitters & Anglers (webpage).

Facebook is apparently making some changes to how they handle groups...which kinda sucks, as we had over 875 members in the group, with loads of photos & other great content. I'll slowly be moving the best of it over to the new page, one pic at a time, and have asked the group members to repost some of their photos & videos as well

I've been posting regularly (spamming?) on the various channels to let people know about the switch, but the group has been a regular habit for more than a handful of the members for a couple years now, so I anticipate it being a slow & steady process.

The new page is located at facebook.com/frederictonoutfitters; click on over & give us a 'like.' We're not all that bad...

Next up...Tumblr (that's not a typo).

Tumblr is a micro-blogging platform that is not as micro as Twitter & its 140 characters.

I'm sure Tumblr is totally awesome & lots of things can be done with it, but I signed up for it for one main reason: it's a one-stop online home for my Instagram & Lightbox photos from my iPod Touch and Android phone.

Since taking the (mentally-refreshing) step of giving my D-SLR camera, lenses & accessories to my dad (thank you for freeing me, Dave Bruno!!), I've become even more interested in mobile-device photography, but the platforms for having these photos were not the greatest.

  • Uploading here? Too many steps: take pic, get pic from device to computer, upload & publish a post accompanying the pic.  
  • Instagram is awesome on my iPod as an app, non-existent on the web.
  • Lightbox is on the web & good as an app, but only about 4 people, including myself, know about it.
  • Flickr works...but is cluttered with albums & shit like that (in my mind)

Enter Tumblr. Each of my preferred photo apps allow me to share directly to my Tumblr page, and formatting of the 'posts' happens automatically.

I like it.

(Don't worry, loyal readers; I won't be quitting here. Tumblr is essentially a nice photo album.)

I whittled away the evening sorting through which pics I already have on Instagram & Lightbox to share on Tumblr (great way to procrastinate, btw...) and set up the photo apps to post automatically.

Check it out at mattrevors.tumblr.com/ or click the image of my Tumblr page below:


No comments: