23 August 2011

A photogenic pike

Time/Date: 2140 CST, 23-Aug-11
Location: Northern Saskatchewan

This post would seem all over the map without including this little ditty from G+ from earlier today:
(click on the image to open to a readable size)


Note the second last comment, from yours truly. It reads, "Nicely done, Will. I'll add you to the blogroll this evening...when I work on Brandon's fly stock post...after I try to catch a photo-worthy pike :p"

So, as a man of my word:

Check out Will's (somewhat) new blog, The Riparian Corridor. Will has some great posts on there, and it's definitely worthy of being on the blogroll (located on the sidebar to the right). He's redone his layout & got himself a brand new look (and URL). Give it a read!

Next up, FlyStock!  FlyStock has partnered with Project Healing Waters, which is a tremendous charity that assists wounded veterans recover by the awesome power of fly fishing.

If you're anywhere semi-close to Texas, this would be a worthwhile event to attend. Heck, I might even pull some strings to attend (hellllloooooo, Aeroplan points...).

A great event for a great charity. Check out Brandon (& FlyStock) on twitter here to keep up to date with what's planned!


Now for the pike.

I really wanted a photo-worthy pike. Not necessarily for a hero shot, more because we don't have pike where I live. So I wanted a pic of one.

It didn't take long, as like my first time out for pike, this one was caught on my first cast of the night.

And it had some photo-worthiness to it.


Larry's finger makes a cameo appearance.
Chompers...
The fork length measured 38". I found out after the fact that you're supposed to pinch the tail together to get a "legal" length, so...40", maybe...?

After we got back, Luke took me to the camp's record board to see how Mr. (or Mrs...?) Pike measured up to the other beasts that have been caught here, and...he reached for the permanent marker...

Yeah, that's right. East coast rules, bitches!
I told Luke I didn't fish for records...just as I snapped this pic and flashed him a shit-eating grin.

Luke, being from New Zealand, called me a c**t.

(Don't worry, I found out years ago that's proper talk for Kiwis & Aussies)

So yeah. That was my work day.

How was yours?

Enjoy (another) great Tragically Hip tune.

(Click here if you can't see the video below)






No comments: