06 July 2011

The Gulag

Time/Date: 0635 PST, 06-Jul-11
Location: A Top-Secret Alpine Facility, British Columbia (near the Alaskan border)

I'd like to tell you where I am, but I'm not really sure. Things got confusing after leaving Smithers, BC.

I landed on a gravel runway and this scary woman started going through our bags for drugs, alcohol, weapons...

...and apparently fly fishing gear, as well.

That's right. My stuff was confiscated.

I went along with it, but now, seeing I'm probably closer to the moon than I am fishable water...it's a little ridiculous.

I'm totally surrounded by snow-capped mountains & glaciers. It's actually quite scenic and I'd love to show you a picture, but we're not permitted to take photos of the project site to post on social media sites such as "Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Hi-5..." (when the hell did they write that policy? And what the f**k is Hi-5?)

So this black-ops fly fishing trip they assume I'd go on if I had retained possession of my 3 rods & reels is pretty much out of the question, unless I commandeered a helicopter as well.

But it's policy.

I will get my gear back, of course, when I leave. That is, if it doesn't go missing. If it does, that's my problem, as they're "not responsible for any and all lost or stolen property." How do you think that possible scenario would play out for them?

Potential CBC headline: "Numerous People Kicked in Groin By NB Geologist Over Fly Fishing Gear"

For those unawares, I took on this project pretty much just to get a flight to northern BC to fish once the project is over & to visit friends in Vancouver on the way back home. The irony of potentially losing my gear before I got to fish is not lost on me. Not one little bit.

I will someday soon declare war on these legal-beagle types that draft up all these ridiculous rules, regulations, bylaws, laws, policies and any other name they go by. Kidney punches for all!

By governing to the lowest common denominator, the people who draft these policies breed out common sense, independent thought & creativity.

Then again, maybe that's what 'they' want...

I'd rather embed some new music...but we're not allowed to stream music or video here, either.

The quality of this one, if I remember correctly, is pretty good:


No comments: