22 July 2011

Chinook-ing

Time/Date: 0640, 22-Jul-11
Location: Smithers, BC

Awesomeness.

That's all I can say about my day chasing Chinook salmon on the fly rod with Derek Botchford of Frontier Farwest (Twitter: @epicflyfishing; Facebook page here).

Conditions were tough: water was high, fast & cloudy, but Derek raced us up & down the river in the jetboat to various pools & holes, pointing out locally famous fall steelhead runs along the way.

It paid off.


There is an asterisk on this catch, however.

I had handed the rod to Derek so I could have a sip of coffee & take a leak. As I was standing on shore, coffee in hand (not the other thing in hand), I saw a fish roll to Derek's right.

Mustering up my best guide voice, I calmly spoke (squealed?): "Three o'clock, 30 feet."

Derek cast, hooked up & offered me the rod. I hesitated; not wanting to be 'that guy,' but...

It was a good fight.

These things are friggin' strong. They're not big leapers, and this one didn't run too much. It just said, "F**K you. Try to move me."

And it didn't budge. For a while.

After 10-15 minutes, the above picture was the end result, and we happily sent the Chinook back on its way upriver.

Awesomeness.

I also caught a bull trout, which was totally cool!


On a 5- or 6-weight, the bull trout would have been a battle and a half.

Awesomeness.

On the way back to Smithers, Derek invited me to stop in to see the new lodge Frontier Farwest is building on the Bulkley River.

It's spectacular.

I instantly offered my services as a bartender, logistics manager, guide, dishwasher or resident half-wit to Derek.

Unfortunately for me (and the lodge, too...mark my words!!), Derek politely declined my services.

But...

I will be back someday soon, for I also have steelhead dreams.

Interested in fishing with Derek and the gang at Frontier Farwest? Click here for their contact information. Trust me, it's worth the price of admission. And then some.

New music. I dig it. Some might not.

But that's the beauty of music; there's something for everyone.

Enjoy!


No comments: