31 August 2010

“MNMLSM” (or something like that)

Time/Date: 1225, 29-Aug-10
Location: Project Site, BF

Recently I’ve been reading up on minimalism (see blogroll). There’s plenty of info online on the subject; several people stepped back from their “normal” lives due to the recent recession, changed their lifestyle, and have shared their stories.

(BTW, I find irony in there being abundant information on minimalism. Just sayin’)

Much is regurgitated from blog to blog, like minimalistic flavours of the week. One writer posts an idea, and others follow suit, changing or expanding the idea.

There seems to be a competition to see how truly minimalistic some people can get. “I’m car-free” to “I have 100 possessions” to “I’m living in a cardboard box & chose to burn all of my socks.”

BUT...

Ideas of minimalism have merit. I have clutter in my life, and I’m removing it to simplify things a little more (also, I’m keeping posts to <250 words. For my sake and yours. Twitter has taught me brevity).

I entertained a few of these ideas while packing for Burkina Faso.

If it was a vacation, there would have been less.

Future “mnmlsm” posts: list of shit I’m tossing out (or donating); advocates of minimalism worthy of your time; MacBook minimalism.

Enjoy the ride.




Clutter probably not an issue in these homes


No comments: