13 May 2012

My roommate is tougher than you

loyalistrugby.com
A bold statement in the title, yes, but I can say it confidently with regards to probably the majority of people reading this (no offence intended).

He's been playing at a high-level of rugby for 16 years. Sixteen years. He shows no sign of slowing down, and he remains one of the best in the province, no matter what position he's been slotted into.

After a heartbreaking loss in the Maritime Championship in 2010, he proceeded to acquire commercial-grade gym equipment for the basement to "take things up a notch" for the 2011 season.

I should note the 2011 season took place at age 35 for him.

This past offseason, he took up a challenge that is 180° from bone-crushing tackles on (& occasionally from) his opponents on the rugby field: adventure racing.

Starting line, Race The Planet Jordan 2012
(click the image to go to the race's homepage)
He's currently in the Jordanian Desert, just finished day one of a 250km self-supported race.

After this, he switches gears to prep for the 2012 rugby season.

He does all this while working 50 hours per week as an engineer for a local firm (and managing my affairs while I'm off galavanting around the planet in search of fish and/or paycheques).

So yeah.

My roommate is tougher than you.

And I wish him & his teammates the best of luck in this challenge.


(Edit: I should note he's tougher than me, too...)

You can follow Team Fredericton Loyalists' progress by clicking the image below.




1 comment:

cofisher said...

Alright I'll concede that he's tougher than me and good luck in the challenge!