05 May 2012

Book Review - Chasing Records

Chasing Records - An Angler's Quest by Robert Cunningham

I was browsing through the website of Florida Sportsman last week to get a little mid-workday fishing fix and came across a little blurb about this book.

Always on the lookout for some reading material for the Kobo e-reader my lovely girlfriend gave me for my birthday, I downloaded it & gave it a read.

To be totally honest, I have mixed feelings about people targeting fish for IGFA records; on one hand, it's kinda cool to have the wherewithal and the ability to pursue trophy fish on light tackle.

On the other hand, it seems slightly selfish to fight a fish for 7 hours and kill it for the sole purpose of getting your name on a certificate from the IGFA. It's that type of behaviour that gets the hardcore angry lefties' panties in a bunch. As in the types that are way more angry and left than me.

It should be noted, however, the IGFA is starting to recognize its place in the current world, and has started accepting submissions for all-tackle length records, enabling the fish to be released. Just be prepared to swallow the $50 for the IGFA-approved length measuring device...

Is there any other industry that charges $50 for a damn ruler?
Back to the book, however... It is a good & entertaining read, and provided an adequate amount of fishiness on these cold & fishless Nunavut nights. The fact Cunningham started chasing his records on redfish & wrote pretty extensively about them won me over, too.

In fact, he won me over sufficiently that I didn't even start to hate him when he described going out and buying his own sea-plane and getting a custom-designed boat built...just so he could chase IGFA records.

(Meanwhile, back in the land of realistic finances, I hope my rustic $3800 aluminum-hull fishing boat doesn't get seized by Revenue Canada before I can go fishing with it...)

2 comments:

cofisher said...

I was good until your remark about buying a seaplane and a custom designed boat.

Unknown said...

Well, Howard, he is/was a lawyer. He probably works real hard, too, just like us. Working real hard to put a roof over their heads & food on the table...and buy seaplanes & custom-designed boats for chasing IGFA records