06 March 2012

Classy Redfish Art

Time/Date: 1130 AST, 06-Mar-12
Location: Fredericton, NB

When I was trolling around on the intertubes a few weeks ago during a shift of standby in Mexico, I found a link to ShallowFish, a website/e-store dedicated to "gifts inspired by angling."

I would be lying that if I said I was casually browsing the site and stumbled upon some cool redfish art; redfish was the first species I clicked on. Within a few seconds, I found exactly what I was looking for:

Soon appearing on a wall near me.
Gyotaku is a very cool art form originally developed in Japan to keep fisherman from bullshitting about their catch. No joke. You can read more about gyotaku here and here.

I liked that print the best of the few featured on the page but I didn't want to rush to buy it & end up with buyer's remorse; $70 + shipping isn't something to scoff at, after all. I saved it to Instapaper (one of my favourite apps ever, btw) to wait it out & think it over.

Last night I popped on again to take a gander at it...and pulled the trigger.

I'm really looking forward to having it framed & on my wall

One other gyotaku print that caught my eye was one I cannot fathomably order until I catch one, but when I do, you better believe this badboy is getting shipped to Fredericton & hung:

Reason #16 why I hoard Aeroplan miles...
It's good to dream. And then act on those dreams.

Here's some tunes:

3 comments:

cofisher said...

Mat, why does your redfish look so sad?

Unknown said...

Howard, I will answer that question with another question:
How would you feel to think you have a yummy meal, but instead be stabbed in the mouth with sharp metal, hauled around, then get slathered with paint & slapped against a canvas?

:)

The Jassid Man said...

I feel pity for the redfish. Just let him go with a smile.

Have fun,
Mats Olsson, Sweden