15 May 2011

The next, logical step(s)

Time/Date: 0900, 12-May-11
Location: F'ton...very soon to be elsewhere...

A little bit of a housekeeping post to update folks with some recent & upcoming happenings.

1. I'm leaving today...
...for roughly 3 weeks. Quick little contract up in northern Saskatchewan; I figure since the fishing conditions are so harsh right now in NB from a brutal spring, I might as well go somewhere more brutal, weather-wise, and make a little bit of cash to finance this uber-fun fiasco that is my life.

2. I'm not all that dumb...
...seriously, I'm not. I took an exam last week & scored a 96% on it. Really, I did.

What exam, you might ask. Well, it was my guide's license exam.

That's right: I am now a licensed fly fishing guide in the province of New Brunswick. It's not going to be a main source of income for me (just yet), but it's something I'm going to look into as time progresses. As in, the near-future.

It's a logical next-step...

3. Logical Next Step #2
It's my view a person can't be totally, 100%-dedicated to fly fishing without being an advocate for conservation. I've been a member & supporter of the following groups for the last little bit (I urge you to join as many as you can):
I want to do whatever I can to help these groups conserve fish habitat & make sure there are healthy populations of fish stocks. It's in my best interest: I can't catch them if they're not around, nor can any of my future clients (see #2, above).

But unfortunately it can't all be yummy dinners & silent auctions: people need to get some skin in the game and start doing more positive things.

So, a month or two ago (unbeknownst to me due to being in Senegal or Mexico) I was named to the Board of Directors of the Nashwaak Watershed Association.

I love fishing on the Nashwaak River. I'll do anything in my power to keep being able to fish the Nashwaak.

Fortunately for me, a lot of people involved in this group feel the same.

So, as you see: it was a logical, next step (even though I didn't know I was on the board until last night).

Please see below the music for an important note from the President of the Nashwaak Watershed Association on natural gas exploration in the Nashwaak river valley. Thanks!!

4. FOA's SPEY SPECTACULAR!
Fredericton Outfitters is having a huge blow-out on switch & spey rods, from $50 to $300 off on all sorts of models.

If you ever wanted to get into swinging two-handed rods, this is your opportunity to get in at a decent price.

Be sure to check out the Spey Spectacular here.

5. Music
I just really like this song. Best enjoyed up loud & while singing along. Trust me.


6. Nashwaak Watershed Association President's note...
...on natural gas exploration in the Nashwaak River valley:

The Nashwaak valley is now hosting visitors from the United States, here on business. That business is to fracture the ground under our feet in order to develop wells of natural gas from shale deposits deep underground. To accomplish this they wil require millions of gallons of our water, to which they will add chemicals and then pump it down the holes under extreme pressures in order to fracture the shales and thereby force any existing gas (or oil) to the surface along with our now toxic water. The water will then be stored in containment areas on the drill sites. Some of this water can be used again in the second or third try at fracturing, because not every attempt yields a well, and not every well is viable. Even those that are initially producing wells can be useless in as little as a couple of years.


According to the company's own internet site, there are no jobs of any significance to be had for New Brunswickers, and natural gas is currently at rock bottom prices in North America. Western Canada is awash in natural gas from conventional wells right now, and the United States is estimated to have reserves of natural gas in their own shale deposits sufficient to last for centuries.


So... let's take a minute and add this all up. Shale gas requires millions of liters of our fresh water to be rendered poisonous and left somewhere on the ground for us to clean up in order to maybe find a resource that is currently in such abundance that no one wants it, and no one is likely to want it for a couple of centuries, unless of course we intend to give it away (since we appear to already be prepared to give away the water and the responsibility for the long term clean up).


Whatever royalty regime the provincial government has been offered is most likely attached to the selling price (market value) of natural gas, and as we know that is rock bottom, that pool is likely shallow from the get go.


Now, lets see... we lose millions of liters of fresh water, we accept long term responsibility for a cleanup on who knows how many sites, we have no expectation of employment or business opportunities, the resource is currently surplus to need, and as such royalitites are not likely to even offset the cost of the water.


We should always welcome vistors to the valley. It is the hospitable thing to do. I doubt, though, that anyone should expect our hospitality to accommodate so many permanent losses and long term costs without any significant benefit to those of us left to do the work. It is my suggestion that if you, like many of us looking at this type of venture, are having a hard time finding a good reason to support it, then maybe you could send a note or make a call to your MLA, Kirk MacDonald, asking him to represent your opinion in the Legislature, as forcefully as you feel necessary. You may also wish to send notice to The Ministers of Energy, the Environment, and Natural Resources


You may also post a comment of your own on this page to begin a discussion on this or any other matter of interest to people in the community.


Thank you for your time, 
Paul McLaughlin, 
President Nashwaak Watershed Association


Please feel free to share this with anyone you want. Knowledge is power.

Next post will be from Northern Saskatchewan!

Mat

4 comments:

Dylan Rose said...

Great stuff Mat. All the best to you while in the great white north!

P.S. Digging this tune fo sho.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Dylan! BTW, that tune (one of my all-time faves) is circa '97! You guys miss out down there...but, on the other hand, were at the epicenter for the greatest age of modern music...

cofisher said...

Sounds like you've got your hands full. Good luck with all that and enjoyed the song as well.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Howard! Hope the spring weather has been kinder to you than it has to me!