12 February 2011

Travellin' (& fly reel dreams quickly dashed)

Time/Date: 1445 GMT, 12-Feb-11
Location: Senegal

Things are finally wrapping up on the project site for us; the last drill hole finished earlier today.

It has been a good project, though working 28 consecutive night shifts, 7PM-7AM, is something I'd rather not do frequently (not that I'm using that as an excuse for the lack of posts & photos...).

Tomorrow we set off for Dakar, then fly to Paris overnight tomorrow night. From there, it's a relatively quick train ride to London for a few days, as it would've cost ~$1500 to change our tickets from Paris to Canada. Though, with the rates of these effin' trains, one has to wonder what is more expensive.

The original plan was to visit the south of Spain & France for 6-7 days, but some of the drill holes being extended scuttled that plan. So London it is.

Not being one much for stuff like Westminster Abbey, last night I did a quick Google search for fly shops in the vicinity of our hotel.

Objects of desire
One site had a Nautilus NV reel listed "from £195." I almost shit my (fast-drying, uber-comfortable Ex-Officio) drawers. These things retail for $600US; I thought I stumbled into something awesome.

This morning, after NV-filled dreams, I went back on to the fly shop's website. Turns out once you hit the drop-down menus a bit, the spool retails for £195, the reel, on the other hand, retails for £495.

Big difference there.

Oh well, it was good to dream.



1 comment:

Matt said...

We shall drown our sorrows in of the 250 types of rums at Cotton's