04 January 2013

UPG! FTW!

I've written here before about how much I like the UPG fly boxes from Umpqua Feather Merchants.

They're lightweight, rugged, and large capacity without being obnoxiously large.

And now I can say Umpqua backs them with legendary customer care, too. But you don't have to trust me on this. I'll prove it to you.

A CASE STUDY IN LEGENDARY CUSTOMER CARE

The Issue
For the last year or so, I had two UPG boxes: the Double-Wide for bass bugs or redfish flies, and the Streamer box, for, ummm, streamers (duh!).

Both UPG boxes were repurposed for my trip to Belize in September. Bonefish flies & general patterns went in the Streamer box, and tarpon flies & beefy crab patterns inhabited the Double Wide.

On our last full day of fishing, the boxes slid out of my backpack while we were motoring between flats. They proceeded to soak up the sun for a few hours while temperatures hovered near 454°F. I may be exaggerating the temperature just a little, but not by much. It was hot. 

As Umpqua presumably does not do product testing at the second inner gate of Hell, the foam on the sides of the two boxes exposed to the sun became warped, and the adhesive melted.

Long story short, I killed both boxes through neglect.


When I discovered my mistake that night, I was disappointed. The UPG boxes are my favourite by a long shot, but they're not cheap enough for someone like me to say, "Oh well!" as I toss them in the trash. Like a rugby player on a blood sub, the boxes would remain in the game as long as possible.

Adhering to my sometimes-frequent principles of reduce, reuse, recycle and repair, I wrote Umpqua a message explaining my stupidity and asked if I could buy replacement foam for the two boxes.

Note: I bought the UPG Flats box shortly after returning from Belize, bring my UPG box collection to three. That's how much I like these boxes.

The Response
Due to a technical glitch, they didn't receive my original message right away...or ever. BUT...once I finally spoke to someone at Umpqua (Luke...and he contacted me on his day off), they didn't waste any time to answer.

Luke said they'll take care of things after New Year's Day and apologized profusely for my original message getting misplaced. By midday on Wednesday, David from Umpqua's customer care responded:
In answer to your original question, no, we do not have replacement foam for the UPG boxes.  However, if you give me your mailing address I’ll put some new boxes in the mail for you today. 
Sweet! Two new UPG boxes! 

That was more than I ever expected: it was my own damn fault the foam warped & lifted, and I was fully prepared to buy the replacement foam inserts (or make my own).

Two new UPG fly boxes was awesome.

Needless to say, when UPS arrived THIS MORNING (Friday, as in less than 48 hours from the first message on Wednesday), I was taken aback with the size & weight of the box the delivery driver handed me.

WTF?!?

I ripped off the packing tape, tossed aside the paper wrapping and peered into the box...

Holy shit!!


Six fly boxes and a hat.

The replacement boxes for the Streamer & Double-Wide, plus a Magnum Dry, a Magnum Midge, a Weekender, and another Flats. And a hat.

Holy. Eff.

Umpqua Feather Merchants, you have completely outdone yourself. I'd almost let you get away with dognapping Awesome the Dog or eating all of my mom's meat pie after this display (almost...but I would at least share the pie with you).

Merry F**king Christmas to me.

Thanks, Umpqua!

Luke & David, you guys rock.

*          *          *

UPG FLY BOX CONTEST

Since I now have two UPG Flats boxes, I'll give one away through a random draw. 

I try to be a bit of a minimalist when it comes to accumulating things, plus I'm moving & trying to downsize...and it feels good to give awesome stuff away once in a while!!!

So here it is:

Comment on this post by 0800 EST on Monday, January 7th to be entered to win the fly box.

While you're at it, pop on over to Umpqua's Facebook page and give 'em a 'like,' too. This part isn't necessary to win, but it'd improve your chances through karma. Trust me on this.

In summary:
  • The Prize: One (1) UPG Flats Fly Box.
  • To Enter: Leave a comment on this very post you're reading now by 8AM EST on Monday, January 7th. 
  • To Enter, part deux: For karmic reasons, go 'like' Umpqua's Facebook page. It's not necessary to win, but it's karma, dude. Karma.
  • The Rules: One entry per person. Winner will  be selected through random number generator and announced Monday, after 8AM EST...at some point...
Good luck to all!

26 comments:

Justin Keene said...

I have been on the fence on getting a DayTripper for my trout junk. I'm off it now. I'll order one on Monday for sure.

Brent Wilson said...

Mat, I would love to have one of those flats fly boxes. Thanks! Brent

nina marie said...

i would love to win! thanks!- Nina Corelli

Brian Koz said...

UFM has always been very righteous and I feel they do a great job with customer service. This was definitely an example of LSE (little something extra). Great Job Luke and fellow crew at Umpqua!!
Tight Lines,
Koz
www.truenorthtrout.com

Anonymous said...

Liked and Entered!

I have a couple of Cliff boxes and would like to make the comparison.

Ed Smith said...

Sure could use one..

Unknown said...

I hope i win i could use this so much

Roadie said...

id like to see more intruder and tube fly boxes , opaque and water proof like Umpqua's

B Stur said...

How unreal is that! Sweet that you are spreading out the goodness

Unknown said...

Very cool.... karma is on your side brother.

Unknown said...

Way to spread the love.

ridderbos3 said...

Awesome customer service, and good for you for spreading the wealth

Frank said...

Wow, that's great. I think Umpqua rocks. They're new packs for dedicated back country fly fishers (like me) look awesome. I've got one UPG box and I've transferred all my flies for May in PA to that box.

CVH said...

Outstanding customer service, I'm impressed to hell!

Fin and Feathers said...

I desperately need this box!! I'm about order another Cliff Bugger box.

Gin Clear said...

Wow, this is a business case study on how to do customer service. Thanks for the chance to share the good karma, Mat.

Gin Clear said...

Also, the simple act of sending you some extras will be amplified in new business for Umpqua. Smart business for them (you can delete or add this comment to my previous one, Mat. I'm not trying to get two entries ;-))

glenn said...

I've never had a problem with Umpqua products - they're top quality. Glad to hear that their customer service is great, too!

Matthew said...

Good guys at Umpqua and those boxes are sweet! I'm throwing my hat in the ring :)

Bob Diefenbacher said...

In!

Kevin said...

Wow. That is amazing

s adermann said...

Big ups to Umpqua for customer service!

atfisher said...

I'm in!

Unknown said...

Gotta love a company that stands behind its products and has great customer service.

cold water fly tyer said...

Entered!

Anonymous said...

It great of them to take care of you. Thanks for passing it along!