17 September 2012

The Clear Cure Charlie


Disclaimer #1: I am not a professional fly tyer.
Disclaimer #2: I am not a professional bonefisherman.

Both of the bonefish eats I had on Friday were on this fly pattern I tied up before the trip.

During marathon tying sessions prior to departure, I quickly tired of wrapping both flashabou and v-rib on the hook shank. Enter the Clear Cure Goo (laziness breeds ingenuity, folks).

Using the Clear Cure Goo instead of v-rib probably saved three-quarters of a minute for each tie, and it was fun pretending it was becoming irradiated to give it superhero powers when I blasted it with the ultraviolet light (e.g., the Hulk, Spiderman, Radioactive Man, etc).

An additional bonus to using the CCG is it makes the fly nearly indestructible. Like it had...superhero powers!

Disclaimer #3: Yes, there's a zillion patterns and recipes that are derived from Crazy Charlies (no tail) and Gotchas (with tail). This could be called a Gotcha, because it has a tail. I don't really care what it's called, it seemed to work, so I'm sharing it.
  • Hook: Tiemco 811S, size 8
  • Thread: Fire Orange, size 6/0
  • Eyes: small bead chain
  • Tail: 8-12 strands of pearl Crystal Flash, ~1.5x length of hook shank
  • Body: 4-5 strands of pearl Flashabou wrapped flat on shank, coated with a fine smear of Clear Cure Goo Brushable & irradiated with UV light
  • Wing: clump of white calf tail
  • Head: Fire Orange thread

2 comments:

The Jassid Man said...

I also use Clear Cure Goo but the tack free version in a squeeze bottle. Perfect for repairing and reinforcing JC nails.

cofisher said...

I love Clear Cure and went nuts with it for awhile when I first tried it. Nice fly...whatever works right?